for Rooming Houses:
- Make evictions fast for rooming houses, so that owners can enforce zero tolerance for crime and other negative behavior.
- Require mandatory rent escrowing for code violations, so that marginal housing gets protected from malicious property damage and unchecked rent withholding.
- Stop the games that health inspectors play to keep code violations on the books and put owners out of business. Make them give notice and document their re-inspections.
- Make the building and safety requirements for rooming houses uniform and clear.
- Make the zoning of rooming houses clear: where they are permitted, where they are not permitted. End ambiguous zoning and the overly broad latitude for neighborhood interference.
- Direct government resources to programs for the 20% who are chronically homeless.